Slammed Colleen Hoover

by - Tuesday, November 13, 2012


Add to Goodreads        Buy: Nook/Kindle
Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope. 

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.


Original cover:


WOW! I am not sure why I did not read this book earlier! I think the idea of the poetry scared me off initially. But actually I was surprised how much the poetry added to the story. 

Colleen Hoover has an easy writing style that draws you in immediately and Layken and Will immediately find their way into your heart. 

They are responsible, sweet, lonely people that find a sudden intense connection. Their attraction and chemistry just jump off the page. 

"Lake...I don't know what it is about you...but I like you."

..."I have just experienced the most passionate kiss I've ever received from a guy--and it was on the freaking forehead!"

Wow," I exhale.
"Yeah," he agrees. "Wow.."


The whole situation seems perfect: living across the street, close to the same age,common interests and senses of humor, and inseparable little brothers... and then, the trouble starts... It is heart wrenching to see Will struggling so hard to keep being the good, responsible guy. He places everyone's needs above his own. He is constantly sacrificing for his brother, his job, and Layken. It is equally hard to see the devastation and utter loneliness in Lake. But despite their problematic romantic situation, they muddle through continued turmoil...sometimes together and sometimes apart. But the whole time, you are just hoping that it can be resolved because the idea of these two people never being together is too hard to bear. 

"Make up your freaking mind, Will! Last night you told me to stop loving you, now you're telling me to stop hating you? You tell me you don't want me to wait for you, yet you act like an immature little boy when I agree to go out with Nick! You want me to act like I don't know you, but then you pull me out of the lunchroom in front of everyone! We've got this whole facade between us, like we're different people all the time, and it's exhausting! I never know when you're Will or Mr. Cooper and I really don't know whne I'm supposed to be Layken or Lake!"

"I wouldn't be able to put your needs first. Hell, I wouldn't be able to put them second...You deserve better than third."


I loved how they could actually express their emotions with the Slam poetry in front of an audience easier than a one on one basis. The last poetry slam made my heart zing! 

Don't read the parts of the slams if you do not want a taste of where they end up. 



Layken:

I got schooled this year by


boy.

A boy I'm seriously, deeply, madly , incredibly and undeniably in love with.

And he taught me the most important thing of all--

To put the emphasis 

On life. 



*****
Will:

Life knows.

Life is trying to tell me

That the girl I love?

The girl I fell

So hard for?

There's room for her in first. 

I'm putting her first.


Thank Goodness Eddie, Gavin, Kel and Caulder add some comic relief in the midst of the heartbreak. And even Will and Lake have a fun rapport together. 

I am looking forward to now reading book 2 Point of Retreat and seeing were Lake and Will end up.

You May Also Like

0 comments