Harbour Falls: S.R. Grey

by - Thursday, January 17, 2013

Add to Goodreads Buy: Nook/Kindle

Best-selling author Maddy Fitch, researching material for a new novel, returns to her hometown of Harbour Falls to investigate a disappearance that has haunted the tiny Maine coastal town for the past four years. Maddy soon discovers that the case has gone cold, but the prime suspect, Adam Ward, is hotter than ever. Now living on an isolated island, Maddy takes up residence near the sexy Mr. Ward's home. As she begins to seek out answers, the mystery deepens, putting Maddy in jeopardy. 
Lies, secrets, deceptions. Nothing is ever what it seems in Harbour Falls. 

A steamy novel that immerses the reader in an intricate storyline that will keep them glued till the very last page.

I sat down yesterday to read a bit more of Harbour Falls with the intention of only reading a couple of chapters. Well, yeah, that did not go quite as planned. I was up until 1:00 this morning. Harbour Falls will keep you guessing. At least, it did for me; I was wondering the whole time what the hell is everyone hiding, because let me tell you, they are all hiding something. The whole time I was piecing the puzzle together thinking I had it all figured out and in the end Susie left me still thinking WTF?! So many questions needed answering and I needed to find them. 

I have to be honest and mention the fact that I struggled a bit with our main characters, truthfully, I had a love/hate relationship with them. I liked Adam and Maddy as individuals; their personalities were intriguing enough to keep me engaged. Did I like them together? Eh. Sometimes. Even though, I adored the witty banter between them, I was not always fond of our hero and heroine when it came to them being a love interest. Their relationship just wasn't one I could instantly buy. There was deception at every turn, it often left me wondering how far these people were willing to go to keep their secrets hidden. 

Throughout the book, I felt as though Adam had an agenda and he was using Maddy to fit this agenda. It sometimes felt as though she was more of a means to an end and not so much the love of his life. I think a lot of that had to do with Adam's character being cloaked in way too many secrets, it really made it hard to get a real feel for him. Susie executed his character perfectly though because she left me hanging in suspense, wanting and needing to know what it is he is keeping well hidden.

And than there was Maddy with her gazillion lies. This girl lied to everyone she came into contact with. It pissed me off to no end when even after declaring her undying love to Adam, she still continued to lie to him. This really did not sit right with me, yet it came across as though Adam was OK with it. He forgave her each and every time; in my opinion, his forgiveness came way too easily, especially since she betrayed this trust repeatedly. To me, if you truly love someone, their betrayal wouldn't be so easily forgiven with the amount of times it was broken.

I would also like to touch on the fact that  this was more suspenseful for me than it was romantic. It had the ability to be great in that area, it just needed a bit more detail and development between the characters. Now, I say there was not a lot of romance, but these two had some awesome sexual tension, when they were actually in the in same room together. hell, they were hardly ever in the same state, therefore, they did not even spend a lot of quality time together. Plus, add in all the half-truths and deceptions they threw around and you have ingredients for a very unstable relationship. Not to mention, sexual chemistry and romance/love are not the same thing. For my own personal preferences, I need build up; I need to feel the connection on a deeper level that isn't based off of intense sexual attraction. Love forms from trust and honesty. And honestly, these two had none of that going on. With that being said, it was also frustrating that Adam was always pushing off the actual dirty deed. I often wondered why he wouldn't take the final step to being intimate with Maddy. The chemistry was there, Susie teased us plenty with this, and I would think finally...yeah, well... Adam was the king of excuses when it came to why they shouldn't consummate their relationship. It was so bad I was left wanting and frustrated, therefore, I could only imagine how poor Maddy felt. I need to see this couple outside the lines of deceit that they both clearly live behind. I want their relationship to slow down and be rebuilt on love and trust. 

I am giving this 3.5 to 4 stars; I really loved the plot line and the author's writing style. If a book can keep me turning the pages to find out what is going to happen next than it is a worthy read, in my opinion. The mystery was engaging, the setting was awesome (love the idea of a private island), and the ending had enough questions to leave you wanting to come back for more. My main concern and what I needed most was more character development and interaction, everything in between worked perfectly. I will definitely be picking up book 2 and continuing on with Adam and Maddy’s story.

Thank you S.R. Grey for giving me the opportunity to read your book for an honest review.

You May Also Like

0 comments