Torn: K.A. Robinson

by - Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Add to Goodreads    Buy Nook/Kindle

Chloe hasn't had the best life. With a mother who is gone more often than not, she has had to raise herself. After graduating high school, she leaves to start a new life away at West Virginia University with her best friends Amber and Logan, determined to leave her demons in the past. 

On her first day, she meets a stranger who takes her breath away at first sight. Until she met Drake, no one had ever sparked her interest. Now this tattooed and pierced bad boy is all she can think about, no matter how hard she fights it.

Falling for Drake was never part of her plans, but when it happens, things seem to do anything but fall into place.

Dealing with a tragic past, Drake has never cared about anyone else but himself and his band. But when Chloe takes the empty seat next to him in class, things start to change. Instantly drawn to her, he begins to wonder if one girl can take a cold hearted womanizer and change every part of him?

Long hidden feelings are revealed and friendships tested to the brink.


Teaser:

He laughed at my pitiful attempts. “Is that all you’ve got? What a wimp.” At his words, I started pushing him harder, but my hands slipped from his hip and I tumbled down onto him. My breath was sucked out of me as I landed on top of him and I felt those tingles everywhere my body pressed against his. I tried to shove away from him, but he grabbed my arms and pulled me up so I was fully on top of him, chest to chest, stomach to stomach, hips to hips. He was hard everywhere I touched and I felt my cheeks turning red as I looked at him. 

His eyes had darkened until they were black with hunger as he stared at me, and a smirk appeared on his lips. “You know baby, if you wanted to get on top of me all you had to do was ask.”



Buckle your seat belts for a roller coaster ride of angst and drama that will keep you on the edge of your seat. I could not put this book down and read it in one sitting and stayed up too late doing it. Three best friends Chloe, Amber, and Logan are off to college. They have been there for each other through everything and are like siblings. 

Chloe: She is kind of shy, has had a hard life without much love, and is not very experienced  with relationships. But she is smart, beautiful, and has a good sense of humor. 

Logan: The perfect male friend. He takes care of her and is protective. He does everything a good boyfriend would do. But they are just friends, right?

Enter Drake into the mix. He meets Chloe in class and both are immediately smitten. He is the Bad boy, pierced, tattooed Lead singer of a hot band with a harem of girls. He is a a man whore with a difficult past and a fear of commitment. They have such fiery chemistry and intense need for each other that they are not prepared to deal with it.


 He was under my skin and, and whenever I was around him my judgment always clouded over.

"...You can't change overnight.""Before you tripped right into my life I would have said the same thing. But there's something different about you. I don't know what it is, but it wants to make me change every bad thing about myself."


Decisions are made that lead into a big messy situation with lies, omissions, trust issues, heartbreak, and indecision. All of them tried to do what they thought was right for the others. But in trying to do the right thing, sometimes you just do everything wrong. 

"That doesn't change anything Drake. We're both so screwed up on our own, but together we're a whirlwind. Nothing survives that gets in our path."

"...But I think if you gave us a chance, I think we could really make something beautiful instead of so much destruction."

Chloe drove me crazy at times with her indecision and fear of confrontation. She makes so many mistakes and is so wishy washy. Who will she choose? And has she already ruined the relationship past the point of repair?

I will say that I absolutely loved Drake! He was all kinds of damaged bad boy sexiness and he had deep feelings and a good heart. Logan was sweet, handsome, and sexy in a more All American boy type of way.

Her friends Amber and Rachel and some of his band members Adam, Eric, and Jade rounded out their group and added comic relief and possibilities of more stories to come. 

There is also a situation from Chloe's past that is lurking in the shadows. We will find out more about this in the next book Twisted. I am looking forward to more from Chloe, Drake, Logan, and Amber.

K.A. Robinson did an amazing job on this book and story. I was pulled right in and could not put it down. Her character development was fantastic and she evoked all kinds of emotions.



First, I want to say I have read some of the other reviews that have compared Torn to Thoughtless and I guess I just do not see the whole shebang. Were there some resemblances, well yeah. Did it take away from the story K.A. Robinson wrote, not at all. Did I feel like I was reading Kellan again in a more generic form...to be perfectly honest, no I did not. Yes, I noticed the similarities, but for me personally, I found Drake, Chloe and Logan worked. They stood out on their own. I would not normally mention this in my reviews, but I loved this book so much I did not want people to shy away from it based on a few things that resembled another series.

I am a huge fan of love triangles. They are usually angsty reads with a mix of drama and feelings that resemble a roller coaster ride. I devour these types of books while in the same sense I am usually cursing out one of the characters and threatening to beat them over the head when they make the wrong decision or one I just do not agree with. Torn did not fail me, K.A. Robinson caught my attention and kept me invested the whole way through. I rooted for my favorite and my heart broke on several occasions as I took their journey with them. 

With that being said, I think I have totally found a new hotter than hell tatted AND pierced (even in that special place) book boyfriend. I would like to introduce you ladies (and gents) to Drake, current star of my bad boy fantasies.

I absolutely fell head over heels in love with our naughty rock star who could not keep it in his pants. I wanted him for myself, oops I mean Chloe, from the moment he appeared on the page. There is just something enticing about a lost damaged guy that makes you want to snatch him right up and show him love does exists. Drake was a major flirt and player, but things were different with Chloe. He wanted things with her he had never thought about with any other girl. Being a rock star and wicked hot, he did not lack a shortage of chicks that were willing to hop in his bed knowing the outcome would be no strings attached. Drake knew with Chloe he wanted more, and as much as he wanted her, he could not imagine the possibility of a deeper relationship between them without hurting her.

"I've got my own demons, my own past Chloe, I knew what they would do to you if you knew, but I felt connected to you from the beginning, but I knew if we slept together you would be just another woman to me. I wanted to get to know you better, and I wasn't about to throw it all away for one night of rolling around in my bed. And I was right about you, we got to know each other and I fell in love with you. That's what this is to me, I've fallen in love with you, and if you would just give me a chance I could prove it to you."

Since I go on and on about Drake, I have to say I also adored Chloe. She was strong for the most part. While she was confused and made some mistakes she overall knew what it was she wanted. Most of her confusion though was due to the men in her life sending her mixed signals. When Drake pushed her away and told her that he didn't want more than friends, she moved on the best way she knew how. Chloe to turned to what was familiar and safe to her, Logan.

I liked Logan do not get me wrong, he was a sweet guy, and all but, he just was not Drake. I think Logan would have worked for me if the heroine had been someone else. I just could not buy Logan and Chloe as anything other than best friends. I did not feel the same chemistry as I felt with Drake. I wanted Chloe with Drake, no let me rephrase that, I needed Chloe and Drake to make it to the end. There was just something about him that fascinated me. He was such an ass on the surface, hilarious, but still an ass. What hooked me on Drake?  I found that when you looked below the surface, below the tats and piercing, below that bad boy persona you found a man who was vulnerable and protective. A man willing to put aside his own wants to do the right thing. A man who never experienced love but had found the possibility of it and had no clue how to react to it. He pushed her away, but at the same time, he pulled Chloe close and protected her with everything he had to give. The only part he could offer of his self was his friendship. I really enjoyed seeing this soft vulnerable side. It gave his character depth.

"It was moments like these that I truly appreciated the gentle side of him. He always pulled out the hard ass card when others were around, but when it was just the two of is, he completely changed."

I found that this story had an easy flow, and the characters were inviting. I loved the chemistry between this group of friends, and the slow build up. There was just the right amount of angst to keep you going, but not so much that you felt like you couldn't breath. K.A. Robinson did a fantastic job of making me feel their struggles with love and pain instead of telling me. I definitely recommend this read.

You May Also Like

0 comments