Perfection R.L. Mathewson

by - Saturday, November 03, 2012

Add to Goodreads        Buy: Nook/Kindle

Zoe is used to taking care of herself and has long ago accepted that if anything bad was going to happen, it was going to happen to her. So when she loses her job over something most bosses would probably be happy with and her life starts going down hill from there she doesn't expect it to get any better. She certainly didn't expect any help from the loud jerk next door, but then again she has nothing to lose so puts her trust in him and hopes for the best. What she didn't expect was the once in a lifetime opportunity that he offers her through an arrangement where they both benefit and no one is supposed to get hurt, but she should have known better because her luck has never been that good.

Like most Bradfords, Trevor has a soft spot for food, but that's about all. He leads a pretty straightforward life and likes to keep things simple and that includes his relationships. He wants the perfect woman and knows exactly what she'll be like. So when he discovers much to his horror that he's thinking about his frumpy little neighbor he decides the best way to get his head straight is by working her out of his system. He'll keep her around, but only until he finds perfection.
Tammy's Rating:
5 out of 5 Stars

Tammy's Review:
This series was such a fun read. I highly recommend reading the first book Playing for Keeps and then moving on to this book. One of my favorite things about a series is being able to visit with previous characters. It is like sitting amongst old friends. I didn't review book 1 not because I didn't like it, just because I didn't have a lot of time.  While I really love Jason and Hailey, I have to admit that I adore Trevor even more. R. L. Mathewson has such a great writing style. She keeps you entertained with her wit and the progression of the book just flows at a great pace. Making for a really fun read.

I worried, however,  about getting to his book. My friend told me that he can be quite the jerk and I most likely would not like him as I have a hard time reading a book that puts down women in general. I thought Jason was wicked sweet in book 1 so I prepared myself to be so angry and disappointed. BUT, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I adored him and his story. One of the best parts about this series is the food obsession that the Bradford men have. There banter when it comes to food, and their actions regarding food will keep you shaking your head and giggling.

"Those are my brownies, you bastard!"

Trevor oh Trevor,  you started out as such a jerk. open mouth and insert foot should have been your motto to live by. I just wanted to smack you silly. You were mega hot, and sweet at times. Although sometimes I wondered, where the hell you left your brains. I was happy to see that it didn't last too long. You were quick to redeem yourself. Before long, I found myself rooting for you and cheering you on, even if you were totally full of yourself. I loved the sweet things you did for Zoe under the guise of just keeping your tenant around because she was a good tenant and easily accessible. You could feel the love and tenderness growing for her with each page turn. 

"I'm plain, Trevor."
No, you're mine and that's all that matters."

Zoe was the perfect heroine. She was smart, funny and had just enough sass to make you say, "you go girl!" I love that the author made these "real girls." She was chubby, not model like beauty, but beautiful in her own right. No, she was not Trev's normal style girl, or even his perfect mate as described by him. Turns out that Zoe was exactly that.  I felt sad when Zoe started starving herself to lose weight, so she could be beautiful. In this country, we have too many girls doing this, harming themselves so they can fit in with the crowd. Throughout the book, there were a lot of negative remarks about Zoe because of her weight, and even some judged her solely on this without even getting to know her. It broke my heart to read about it, which is why my friend thought I really wouldn't like this book. Here is where Trevor redeemed his self. He made me have faith in his story again. 

"I don't like being fat."
"Hey you’re not fat, Zoe. You’re curvy and sexy as hell, but you’re not fat."

I loved them as a couple. Absolutely loved them! Zoe didn't take his crap and gave back just as good as she got. The banter between them just cracked me up. She would counter something he said and he would conveniently remember it his way, convincing her to do what he wanted. Their relationship flowed, they learned about each other and while they learned they couldn't stay out of the bedroom (bathroom, kitchen, living room....well you get the hint). Zoe being Zoe helped Trevor change his perception about what the perfect woman would be. Trevor being a Bradford knew what he wanted and did everything in his power to get her there. 



"I may have let you have your naughty little way with me for the past couple of months, but that doesn't mean I'm going to allow you to keep treating me like some dirty little boy toy. If you want to live with me then I expect you to put a ring on my finger." 






The epilogue was one of the best parts about the book, and had you chuckling your way through it. I am wicked glad I decided to give Trevor a chance, as I was seriously going to skip right over him and move on to book 3, Checkmate, which just so happens has Trevor and Jason in it too. Kim was telling me about something that happens in that book with Trev and it had me laughing hard, and chomping the bit to get to it.
Kim's Rating:
4.5 out of 5 Stars

Kim's Review:
Okay okay, so this is obviously where Kim needs to come in and explain herself. Usually when Tammy and I read books together she is harder on the men...really she is. I am usually the one defending the poor guy and proving he had somewhat good intentions. We had just come off reading Playing for Keeps, and Jason might have been obnoxious, but he treated Haley sweetly most of the time and you could at least tell he really liked her. So when I started reading about Trevor and the first thing he does is insult Zoe about her weight, then proceeds to strike an arrangement with her that allows him to use her for various tasks.  At first he was not even particularly nice to her and he did not stand up for her when people were making fun of her. And the monologues he had with himself saying he would sleep with her until someone perfect and worthy of being his wife came along were annoying too. So I warned Tammy off since I thought he would make her mad.

But he did start to change a little. Even though he was pretty clueless and it took him a long time to realize he was being a jerk. His progression became endearing and I found myself laughing out loud towards the end of the book and the epilogue. All of the Bradford men make me laugh and I really enjoy R. L. Mathewson's writing style.

I was so glad to see Jason, Haley, and Jared from the first book. They always add comic entertainment.

Jared explaining to Zoe why Jason is upset and trying to get Haley fired:
 "She's seven months pregnant and he doesn't want her working. So everyday he writes her up for sexual harassment or some other bullshit and we all laugh behind his back. "
Zoe: "Oh...That was kind of sweet in a psychotic sort of way". 

Some of the quotes Tammy posted were favorites of mine as well. But a few others:

"Go...The sooner you get dressed, the sooner you can start fawning over me like a proper date and remember just because I agreed to go out on this date with you doesn't mean that I'm easy. I expect you to do a little work to get me out of my pants." He couldn't have his future wife thinking he was easy after all. 

Trevor: "Does this mean you are going to marry me?"he asked even though he already decided she was marrying him no matter what. Informing her that they were getting married was just a courtesy since he couldn't think of a single Bradford that had ever proposed.

I recommend this book and this entire series for fast and fun reads with real women and  hot, totally clueless, and goofy men.

You May Also Like

0 comments