12 Favorite Reads of 2012: Day 1

by - Thursday, December 20, 2012

Hey everyone! Over the next 12 days, Kim and I will be posting our 12 favorite reads of 2012. We are each taking a day since a lot of our fave reads are the same and we want to give you some variety. 

DAY 1: 
First up I would have to say my absolute favorite read this year, if not my all time fave, is The Dark Duet Series by C.J. Roberts.

Add to Goodreads        Buy: Nook/Kindle

Caleb is a man with a singular interest in revenge. Kidnapped as a young boy and sold into slavery by a power-hungry mobster, he has thought of nothing but vengeance. For twelve years he has immersed himself in the world of pleasure slaves searching for the one man he holds ultimately responsible. Finally, the architect of his suffering has emerged with a new identity, but not a new nature. If Caleb is to get close enough to strike, he must become the very thing he abhors and kidnap a beautiful girl to train her to be all that he once was.

Eighteen-year-old Olivia Ruiz has just woken up in a strange place. Blindfolded and bound, there is only a calm male voice to welcome her. His name is Caleb, though he demands to be called Master. Olivia is young, beautiful, naïve and willful to a fault. She has a dark sensuality that cannot be hidden or denied, though she tries to accomplish both. Although she is frightened by the strong, sadistic, and arrogant man who holds her prisoner, what keeps Olivia awake in the dark is her unwelcome attraction to him.

WARNING: This book contains very disturbing situations, dubious consent, strong language, and graphic violence.



“Caleb was a strange person, cruel and inhuman; a monster, and yet, at other times, he seemed so capable of something like caring. He made me cry and scream and shake with fear and nearly a split second later he could make me almost believe he wasn't responsible for any of it. He could hold me and make me feel safe. How was that possible?”

“Like a Falcon, she needed the dark to understand who her master was. She would learn to trust him, to rely upon him, to anticipate what he wanted from her. And like any master with his salt, he would reward her for her obedience. He would be exceedingly firm, but he would also be as fair as he could be. He had not chosen the instrument of his revenge at random. He had chosen a beautiful submissive. And what was a submissive if not adaptable -if not a survivor?”


Add to Goodreads        Buy: Nook/Kindle


BOOK TWO OF THE DARK DUET

The exciting, titillating, and action-filled conclusion to Captive in the Dark.

What is the price of redemption?

Rescued from sexual slavery by a mysterious Pakistani officer, Caleb carries the weight of a debt that must be paid in blood.

The road has been long and fraught with uncertainty, but for Caleb and Livvie, it’s all coming to an end.

Can he surrender the woman he loves for the sake of vengeance? 

Or will he make the ultimate sacrifice?

Quote: 
It seemed to Caleb, the nature of human beings revolved around one empirical truth: we want what we cannot have. For Eve, it was the fruit of the forbidden tree. For Caleb, it was Livvie.



“I've been doing this a long time- manipulating people to get my way. That's why you think you love me. Because I've broken you down and built you back up to believe it. It wasn't an accident. Once you leave this behind... you'll see that. -Caleb”

“In the dark, my master let down his guard and he was Caleb again. He didn’t correct me. He didn’t punish me. He didn’t push me away emotionally. Caleb was there to hold me until the nightmares passed. He was there to tell me I was beautiful. He was there to tell me I was going to be okay. In the dark, he seduced me. I didn’t want the seduction to end.” 

“You’re worse than those bikers,” she spat, her body tense and coiling, ready to attack. “At least they knew they were monsters. You’re pathetic! You’re a monster who imagines he’s something else.”

It is dark and twisted. There is no one ounce of fluff in this book and it will mess with your mind. You won't know which way to turn. I can't even put in to words what this book will do to you. It is not angsty. It is pain, it is pleasure and it so damn f**ked up.

I was not able to review these books, there was just too much going on in my head to put it down on paper. No words elegant enough to describe the type of feeling this series left me with, what I will tell you however is this is a story everyone should experience for themselves.   

ALL TIME FAVORITE SERIES EVER. 

Here is a brief snippet of  conversations I had with a friend on my thoughts of this series. It kept me up for 24 hours straight while I devoured every single word in each book.

"I NEED to hate him and feel disgust for him. I hurt so bad for her and what he has done to her, what he makes her feel. It is so disgusting and dehumanizing. So very very wrong on so many damn levels. But I honestly can't. How the hell do you empathize with someone like Caleb, I can almost understand him and that just makes me feel sick and f**ked up. He is beyond damaged, he is the worst vile you can think of yet....I just can't explain it. Seriously if I was her, I would of found a way to check out. I would not be any where close to as strong as she has been knowing the fate that lay ahead for me. This is NO WHERE even close to being a love story yet the love you feel between them is so damn intense. It shouldn't be natural in the least bit.

"This read SHOULD be disgusting but as the book goes on it rips at you until you can't see that. You can only see this love, this relationship if you want to call it take hold and cement itself so you see beyond the disgust. The writing is just so detailed, so phenomenal in it's precision and it is so vivid. You are there in their world. You are immersed and there is no coming out of it without getting to the very end."

"Is it sad that we can justify the story because of the love aspect? I mean seriously his actions should not be condoned or understood in any way, but there are places that you just root for his baser need for love to take over and for him to give her what she is looking for. To love her in the way she needs and wants. How do they ever have any form of a relationship that is no so f**ked up? Yet, when she begs him as master to keep her and let her be his, my heart breaks and I plead with Caleb to give in to the same needs he has for her."

You May Also Like

0 comments