Up in Flames by Nicole Williams

by - Saturday, December 22, 2012

Add to Goodreads        Buy: Nook/Kindle

One small town girl with a bright future. 
One smokejumper with a dark past. 
One summer that will forever change them both. 
They’re going . . .

Up In Flames. Elle’s life couldn’t possibly get any more small town than it already is. She was raised in the same home as the two generations before her were, her family owns the iconic downtown cafe, and she’s been dating the pastor’s son since she was allowed to go on her first date at sixteen. 

Cole’s life couldn’t possibly get any larger. He’s tried. Roaming from town to town for the past three summers as a smokejumper, Cole dreads the thought of putting down roots. The only thing he avoids more than that is settling down with one woman, especially when there are as many willing women as there are trees in the forest he jumps out of planes to save.

Elle Montgomery’s life is going one way. And Cole Carson’s is going the opposite. There’s no reason their paths should ever intersect, even in a small town in central Washington. 

But summer in the Methow Valley has other plans for Elle and Cole. After an awkward run-in at the local swimming hole, Elle tries to keep away from the guy who looks at her like she’s already lying beneath him in bed. She fails. Cole is about as successful at staying away from the girl who seems immune to his charms.

As the summer heats up, and tensions between Elle and Cole run high, he begins to realize there’s more he’s attracted to than Elle’s body, and she discovers there’s a lot more to the man that jumps out of planes into raging forest fires than meets the eye.

UP IN FLAMES is a New Adult Romance intended for mature readers due to steamy content and saucy language.
Kim's Rating:
4 out of 5 Stars

Kim's Review:
"My first name's KEEP and my last name's WALKING."

Elle has been living in the same small town with the same job, same boyfriend, and facing a future that she has not really chosen for herself. She feels stuck in a rut and sometimes has to rebel a little bit just to be able to breathe. But she usually rebels in private...

Enter Cole. He intrudes on her in a private moment and is a shock to her senses. He is hot, flirty, sarcastic, and he challenges her. He is a Smokejumper.

All Smokejumpers I'd come across had it. That wild, adventurous twinkle that never seemed to dim. They came every summer. Some were the same as the year before, but a handful were new faces. I suppose that is part of the appeal of the lifestyle: getting to roam from place to place and see some of the most beautiful parts of the country from fifteen hundred feet.

He literally shakes up her belief system and encourages her to find her own path. 

"If you don't take control of your own life, Elle, someone else will...That's a fact of life as guaranteed as death and taxes."

"Elle... you'd better start rocking that boat right now or else your life is going to pass you by before you even get started living it."

And tempts her with his chemistry and magnetism. They cannot fight it, despite jealousy, mistrust, family issues, and the fact that Elle still has a boyfriend. It is a rough road for them. I really felt bad for Cole and felt like Elle kept jerking him around...and was unfair to her boyfriend, Logan too. 

I kept my expression in check. It was hard. Especially with the way he looked tonight. Like sex, seduction, and sin had decided to get it on and Cole Carson was the result.

"I wanted you then, Elle. And I want you now. You might belong to someone else, but you kind of belong to me, too."

"I tried being content having a piece of you, but then that changed, and I wanted all of you. I needed all of you. But since I can't have all of you, I'll just have to figure out how to live with nothing of you."

I couldn't get him out of my mind. I couldn't get him out of my heart. I couldn't get him out of anything.

There are many ups and downs. I did like to see Elle taking more charge of her own choices. And it ended up in a pulse pounding climax that I really did not see coming. 

I really liked this book. I cannot say I loved Elle and Cole as much as Lucy and Jude in Crash and Clash, but it was still a great read with an interesting story line.

You May Also Like

0 comments