VAIN: Fisher Amelie

by - Tuesday, January 08, 2013

VAIN (The Seven Deadly #1)
Fisher Amelie
Add to Goodreads       
Buy: Kindle/
Nook

If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hatmy story.


Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.

I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.



Note: The cover has recently undergone a face lift. These are  the previous covers. 




An unexpected surprise!

I purchased this book because there was so much buzz about it and so many 5 star ratings. I was not sure what to expect. And when I started reading it, I was not sure how I was going to like it. I really was not sure I would be able to like the character of Sophie. She starts out spoiled, rich, obnoxious, hateful, damaged, irresponsible, and totally lost. Her parents ignore her unless they need to show her off. 

Vanity's a debilitating affliction. You're so absorbed in yourself it's impossible to love anyone other than oneself, leaving you weak without realization of it. It's quite sad. You've no idea what your're missing either. You will never know real love and your life will pass you by.

Freedom is just that. Absolutely no restrictions. I abandoned myself to every whim I felt. Every want I fulfilled and every desire was quenched. I wanted for nothing. Except attention. 


About 25 percent of the way into the book, it changes. Her antics catch up with her and she is forced to spend her sentence in an orphanage in Uganda. And I honestly felt like I was witnessing it all just as Sophie did. The descriptions of Africa are so vivid and you feel like you are travelling with her. 

From that point on, I grew to love Sophie. She took the challenge head on despite being completely out of her element. And the orphanage was challenging, heart wrenching, terrifying, and uplifting all at the same time. It made my heart break. 

A swelling sensation invaded my heart and I'd no idea what it was but it was a good hurt, a hurt that felt worthwhile.

She meets Dingane/Ian, Katrina, and Charles and for the first time feels what it is like to be around people who love each other unconditionally. The chemistry between Sophie and Dingane/Ian is amazing from the first meeting even though he does not make it easy for her and does not start out with a high opinion of her. 

"You won't last here. You'll stay blind to the environment that surrounds you. You'll live in your clean, perfect bubble and return to your posh life come six months. You are... you. I know your kind. I've seen it all before. You will never wake up. Not really." 

I absolutely loved his character. He is a no nonsense, down to Earth, capable young man who has found his calling to help others. And it does not hurt that he is sexy,swoon worthy, kind, and has a sense of humor too. But I love that even though he was not sure she was going to make it, he gave her the opportunity to try. I loved how their relationship slowly grew out of friendship, respect, and had amazing sexual tension...

How can someone bug the shit out of you so much yet simultaneously cause you to want to know them intimately with your tongue? He was driving me crazy.

Always in control. Proximity to Ian Aberdeen was my kryptonite.


But that is only one of the love stories in this book. It is also about learning to love yourself and realizing until that happens then you cannot truly love others. And that love can transform your outlook on life. And about how the love of family can shape you and change you. And that children do not need much to feel loved, just time and patience. 

Throughout this book you experience danger, fear, sadness, destruction, heartbreak, and the power of love. You are thrust into horrific situations that make you feel, heighten your anxiety, and bring tears to your eyes. It is such a fantastic story of faith, hope, and self redemption. And it left me in such a happy place. I truly enjoyed the journey. I could not put it down and stayed up way past my bedtime. 

It has a wonderful message and it made me realize how petty we can be in our own daily lives and how small kindnesses can make a difference to others. I highly recommend this book to anyone. It was truly an amazing read that will stay with me for a long time. 

Fisher Amelie is the author of The Leaving Series, Callum & Harper and Thomas & January. She began her writing career as a copywriter for an internet marketing company wherein one of their client's said, 'Hey! You're funny. You should write books'. Which in turn she said, 'Hey, get out of here! This is the lady's restroom.' While washing her hands and the embarrassment from her face, she thought they may have had a valid point. So, she took the thousands of hours of writing stories growing up, tucked them into her pocket and began writing and writing and writing.

You May Also Like

0 comments