Second Chance Boyfriend: Monica Murphy

by - Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Add to Goodreads     Buy Amazon/B&N

Lost. That one single word best describes my life at this very moment. I lost the last games of the season and both my team and my coach blame me. I lost the last two months because I drowned in my own despair like a complete loser. And I lost the only girl who ever mattered because I was afraid being with me would destroy her.

But now I realize how truly lost I am without her. She has become my story…and even though she acts like she’s moved on, I know she still thinks about me just as much as I think about her. She’s beautiful, sweet—and so damn vulnerable, all I want to do is help her. Be there for her.Love her…

If only I could convince Fable to give me a second chance. Then I wouldn’t feel so lost anymore, and neither would she. We could be found together. Forever.



See Kim's 4.5 star review of One Week Girlfriend

"Loving someone is taking a constant risk with your emotions. When you find the right person, the one you know you want to be with, that person becomes worth the risk."

I absolutely fell in love the star crossed damaged couple of Drew and Fable in One Week Girlfriend. They went through so much and shared so intensely that week they were together that is was like an emotional whirlwind for them. This book starts a couple of months after One Week Girlfriend ended. Drew had disappeared and left Fable with a cry for help. 


Drew is trying to get his life together and deal with the demons from his past and his emotional issues. He knows he screwed up, but is at a loss on how to fix it. 

If only I could convince Fable to give me a second chance. Then I wouldn't feel so lost anymore, and neither would she. We could be found together. Forever.

Fable is doing what she has to do to survive. She has to be responsible and support her family with little help. She is strong, determined and independent. She got a taste of what it could be like to have Drew in her life, but is hurt and angry.

“My mom was pretty dead on when she named me Fable, wasn’t she? I don’t feel real to anyone.”

“You’re real to me,”  I whisper. So damn real, it hurts not to touch her.

We see how they are apart and it is enough to realize how much we need them to be together. And once their paths cross again, they realize that too

"I've always run away in the past. But you, Fable. You make me want to stay."

But of course, it is not all sunshine and rainbows for them. They still have serious issues to deal with. Both of them have family situations that cause stress and drama. Due to their pasts they still have trouble seeing their own value and they both are still insecure. But fortunately, they can see the true potential and importance of each other. 

They are sweet, passionate(lots of sexy times in this one!), and supportive of each other in ways that neither of them ever has ever been with anyone else.  But insecurity, fear, and feelings of unworthiness still have an effect on them. And there lives always seem to have a dramatic flair. You cannot come from two such dysfunctional family situations and not be affected by them. Sometimes it seems the poor couple cannot catch a break. 

But in this book, we see them progress in trying to merge their lives together, face their pasts and problems, and move on.  They find inner strength that neither of them realized they had. I completely loved the continuation of their story.

Drew and I were never believers in the fairy tale. We both had our own issues, our problems, our f***ked-up home lives that blew all thoughts of happily ever afters right out of the water. Once upon a time, we were cynics facing the world alone. Our story changed into two warrior cynics facing the world together.

I love Monica Murphy's writing style. It flows well, it is humorous, emotional, real, and she gives us multiple points of view. So we get to see how the characters really see themselves and each other and feel their insecurities first hand. This is supposed to wrap up Drew and Fable's story and I really was happy with it. But I also hope we might catch glimpses of them in future books. We were introduced to Fable's boss Colin and new friend Jen and I think they have potential for their own story. And maybe even her brother Owen in a few years. 





You May Also Like

0 comments