ARC REVIEW: By Any Other Name: J.R. Darhower

by - Friday, February 27, 2015





A deadly rivalry. 

Two families at war. 
Nobody is safe, not even the innocent. 
Especially the innocent. 
Blood will be spilled. 

Genevieve "Genna" Galante knows a thing or two about causing trouble. After all, it's engrained in her DNA. As the only daughter of Primo Galante, notorious boss of the Galante crime family, her life is dictated by a certain set of rules… rules Genna was never very good at following. 

Matteo "Matty" Barsanti never wanted anything to do with the family business, but as the first-born Barsanti son, certain things are expected of him. It's his duty, according to his father, to help take down the enemy... even if that enemy means something to him. 

A chance encounter on an elevator changes the course of lives, causing the biggest trouble of Genna's young life. The only good Barsanti is a dead Barsanti. She's heard it said time and time again. So what happens when she falls in love with one of them? 

The story of star-crossed lovers caught in the middle of the biggest rivalry New York has ever seen, determined to make it… if only they can survive their parents' feud. 





I am a huge, huge fan of J.R. Darhower, and I absolutely adored the shit out of Sempre; however, in my humble opinion, Sempre did not come close to holding a candle to Matty and Genna. Everything about these two held me in their grip. I swear this author only gets better with each book she writes. I don’t usually entertain the Mafia sub-genre, but if Ms. Darhower keeps writing them, I will devour them as quickly as I devour chocolate. She is a magician! Her worlds are pure magic, sucking you right in hook line and sinker. Darhower’s development of these characters, and this sinful world, painted a buildup of vivid visuals leading up to one hell of a depiction. 

What can you expect from By Any Other Name? Plenty of edge of your seat tension, chemistry, suspense, and forbidden love, for starters. Still not convinced? Well then, let me try to convince you a bit more. Sit back, get cozy, and prop those feet up, Darhower delivers a beautifully crafted book filled with consequence, betrayal, love, hatred, multifaceted characters, feuds, blood, obligations, and loyalty. Mix this all together you’ll have a journey that will leave your heart pounding, and your mind consumed with this unforgettable story. 

Matty and Genna’s characters had me so emotionally invested in them. I couldn’t help but root for them to find the peace and happily ever after they so desperately needed. There wasn't one thing I didn't like about either of these characters. Their connection and chemistry was off the charts.  They were either melting my heart or melting my panties. Coming from rival families, their love story is one of extreme forbiddingness. However, this does not stop them, even with the dangerous risks and secrecy; they refuse to let their last names define their relationship. I adored watching them fall madly in love, defying “law” and brutal hatred established by their families oh so many years ago. The growth of their relationship was intense, sweet, and totally delicious. 

Sitting here writing my review and thinking back, I am smiling huge. There was so much about this book I ADORED and LOVED!! Gah, I want to scream from the roof tops for EVERYONE to ONE CLICK this bad boy!! 

In case you cannot tell, I am wicked excited to share this book with you.

P.s. I wouldn’t call this a cliff hanger at all, Ms. Darhower gives us an ending. What I will say is that ending will make you want more ASAP. You’ll be on the edge of your seat with need.

Thank you, J.R. Darhower, for the complimentary copy of By Any Other Name. 

JM Darhower is the author of the New Adult Sempre series (Sempre & Sempre: Redemption), andthe paranormal romance novella, Extinguish. She lives in a tiny town in the Carolinas with her family, where she churns out more words than will ever see the light of day. She has a deep passion for politics and human rights, and when she isn’t writing she’s usually ranting about those things. Chronic crimper with a vulgar mouth, she admits to having a Twitter addiction. You can find her there.

You May Also Like

0 comments