ARC: You Were Always Mine by Nicole Baart

by - Monday, November 05, 2018


The acclaimed author of Little Broken Things returns with another “race-to-the-finish family drama” (People) about a single mother who becomes embroiled in a mystery that threatens to tear apart what’s left of her family.

Jessica Chamberlain, newly separated and living with her two sons in a small Iowa town, can’t believe that a tragedy in another state could have anything to do with her. But when her phone rings one quiet morning, her world is shattered. As she tries to pick up the pieces and make sense of what went wrong, Jess begins to realize that a tragic death is just the beginning. Soon she is caught in a web of lies and half-truths—and she’s horrified to learn that everything leads back to her seven-year-old adopted son, Gabriel.

Years ago, Gabe’s birth mother requested a closed adoption and Jessica was more than happy to comply. But when her house is broken into and she discovers a clue that suggests her estranged husband was in close contact with Gabe’s biological mother, she vows to uncover the truth at any cost. A harrowing story of tenacious love and heartbreaking betrayal, You Were Always Mine is about the wars we wage to keep the ones we love close, perfect for fans of Liane Moriarty and Jodi Picoult.
Other than the sometimes really slow pacing at times, and feeling the ending was a bit rushed, I thought You Were Always Mine was a fantastic book. The suspense and mystery were both there, especially with the little notes at the top of each chapter. Those added just the right touch and often had me skimming back once I started to put pieces of the story together, to see if I could figure out the rest. To see if I had missed something glaringly obvious.

The family dynamics were spot on. And so damn tangible. Other than the death in the family and the riddles and secrecy surrounding it, this felt like your typical every day family life, mixed with a whole lotta crazy.

Jess, I absolutely adored our flawed and imperfect heroine. Her point of view kept me enthralled, devouring the pages. I wanted to help her make sense of everything falling apart around her. Help her find balance again. I wanted to hug her tightly on many, many occasions. As a mom of three teen boys, I totally felt her on the whole Max situation. My heart broke for her. At times I really, really wanted to shake that kid. But as we all know, teens will be teens, and there will be moments of light in the long tunnel of darkness. Throw in tragedy, betrayal, and grief and well... 
And Gabe! You will absolutely love this little guy. He never failed to make me smile huge. His character was the light in an otherwise dark story. 

My biggest issue was I wanted some things flushed out a bit more. With everything going on with Evan, I was left confused on a few things and had hoped the author would have explained it a bit better. I can’t really mention what those things were as they are pertinent to the story.

My favorite thing about You Were Always Mine is the fact that I normally skip to the end for a sneak peek, but Ms. Baart kept me thoroughly involved in the story. I had no desire to look ahead. That alone will have me checking out this first time author to me again. I stayed totally in the present and took the bumpy right along with Jess, Max, and Gabe.

If you love books that center around the real with a bit of crazy and suspense thrown in than I would suggest giving this one a read. I think you’ll really like it.

Nicole Baart is the mother of five children from four different countries. The cofounder of a non-profit organization, One Body One Hope, she lives in a small town in Iowa. She is the author of nine novels, including LITTLE BROKEN THINGS and the upcoming YOU WERE ALWAYS MINE (10/16/18). Nicole is a proud Tall Poppy Writer and a firm believer that we are, and always will be, better together. Find out more at NicoleBaart.com or connect with Nicole on social media.

You May Also Like

0 comments