Release Review: Have Mercy: Christina Lee

by - Friday, August 28, 2020

Have Mercy
Christina Lee
Add to Goodreads
Release Date August 28, 2020 

Julian North

My whole world changed with one roadside bomb and an honorable discharge. Not even the city I used to love can ease the restlessness inside me. I don’t expect visiting my cousin Sienna’s farm to do the trick either, but the change of scenery can’t hurt. Wyoming isn’t what I expected—from the mischievous pig following me around, to the rescue horse I’ve become strangely fascinated with. And then there’s Kerry, the handsome, brooding cowboy, who somehow calms the storm inside me—and just happens to be Sienna’s ex-husband.

Kerry Carmichael

I’ve had a rough go of it since I came out—disappointing my family, the divorce, and the blow of my daughter’s illness. Things are settling down now, my kiddo is healthy, and Sienna and I are finally on solid ground. Not everyone accepts me, but I’ve owned my truth, even if I spend my life solo. Only, now that Julian’s here, I’m not so lonesome anymore. He’s a kindred spirit. First as someone to talk to, then as…more. The first time I hold him through one of his nightmares, I feel a rightness I never expected to find.

We know this’ll end with the summer, but with every stolen kiss against the stable walls, with every heated or tender moment, I fall deeper. The reality is, I can’t risk my family or the business by going public with him. I know this can never last and that Julian doesn’t belong here. So why does it feel like he already does? 


Julian North is still dealing with the effects of his time in Afghanistan a year after he survived an accident. He is skittish and suffering from PTSD.  He is bisexual but does not broadcast it.  And he is going to spend the summer at his cousin's farm to get away and recharge while also helping her with a project. 

Kerry Carmichael is his cousin's ex-husband. He came out as gay three years ago and got divorced, but he stays on the farm with his ex to co-parent their daughter. Kerry's coming out had repercussions on his own life and conservative ranching family. He just sacrifices his own needs, keeps his head down, works hard, and takes it day by day.

Julian and Kerry never expected to be attracted to each other. Kerry did not even know about Julian being bi for a while. But there is an underlying appreciation, building of camaraderie, and simmering sexual tension between them as they work alongside each other. But it is also a complicated situation with family ties and old hurts. They both hold onto guilt from their pasts. But Julian is also learning and healing with the help of these people and animals he is surrounded by. 

I enjoyed many of the side characters on the ranch and was angry at the ones I was supposed to be. Little Ainsley was a scene-stealer and so are the animals. The set up that Kerry and Sienna created to co-parent her was admirable, but would not be something that could stay stagnant forever. There was one antagonist that I started to warm up to by the end, and I would like to see more of him. I love a good redemption story and the setting would be interesting. 

This is a touching, slow-burn, somewhat forbidden, M/M romance with an ex-soldier and a cowboy set on a ranch in Wyoming. It is about kindred spirits, trust, breaking stereotypes, dealing with personal struggles, and complicated family dynamics. But ultimately it brings the healing power of hope, acceptance, companionship, finding a home, and living an authentic life. 


Mother, wife, reader, dreamer. Christina lives in the Midwest with her husband and son–her two favorite guys. She’s addicted to lip balm, coffee, and kissing. Because everything is better with kissing.

She writes mostly MM Contemporary as well as Adult and New Adult Romance. She believes in happily-ever-afters for all, so reading and writing romance for everybody under the rainbow helps quench her soul.

If you’d like to keep up with her on a daily basis, join her reader group on Facebook called The Swoon Room. Or join her newsletter to be notified of sales and/or new releases.

You May Also Like

0 comments