Running On Empty: L.B.Simmons

by - Tuesday, February 19, 2013

 Add to Goodreads        Buy: Nook/Kindle

I had the perfect life. 

Beautiful and loving husband.Three gorgeous little girls. 
Successful career. 

The only thing missing was the white picket fence. I really wanted that fence. 

Three years ago, I lost that life. I lost my husband. And I lost myself. But, eventually, I found my way through the darkness. I’ve made peace with my new life. I have my girls, and that’s all that matters. They are my world. I have no illusions of ever falling in love again or getting whisked away on a white horse. 

But then he came back into my life. On a freakin’ motorcycle.

There’s no way I’ll let him turn my life completely upside down.Absolutely no way. 

The question is…

How long can I keep pretending that I’m happy with my life being right-side up?



Kim's Rating:
4 out of 5 Stars

Kim's Review:

Alex is running on empty literally and figuratively. She has a career, 3 young daughters, and a busy life. She had the fairytale and it ended tragically. So now she just gets by day by day with the help of her best friend Harlow and the love of her girls. 

The descriptions of daily life with the kids are funny and truthful. Her kids are exasperating, exhausting, and adorable at the same time. 

Sure, some days are harder than others. I have breakdowns every now and then, but I think that's normal And I try to shield the girls as much as I can from moments when mommy's feeling a bit "down". But these girls...they mean more to me than my own life. I'll do everything in my power to keep them from every being hurt again. That is what defines me, I already had my happiness and I live for them now. I'm okay with that.

When Blake rolls back into town on his motorcycle and runs into Alex on a particularly bad morning, their reconnection is charged. He was her best friend as kids/young teens but now has a chip on his shoulder. And Alex is independent, stubborn, and closed off. 

Angry at myself for being so weak. Angry at Derek for dying and leaving me behind. And honestly, I find myself angry at a certain someone for showing up after all these years. Trying to be my hero, I don't need a hero, I don't need anyone. And I sure as hell do not need Blake Morgan.

I loved their sparring and the fact at times they reverted back to their teenage antics. They had a strong connection, history and chemistry. It is not long before they are forced to spend time together and begin to rekindle their friendship. 

But Alex is a woman that Blake measures all other women against. He never really told her how he felt before, but still has feelings for her. I loved his patience and determination to bring down her walls. But I also liked that he had a back bone and did not let her walk all over him. He was sincere, honest, and completely up front with her even when she did not want to hear it. They were both stubborn and fighters. But Blake knows that only Alex can decide if she has room for him in her life or heart. 

I feel like I'm taking my first real breath in three years and I have Blake to thank for that.

Everything in me wants this man. I can't deny that. I'm drawn to him and unfortunately I can't seem to control it. And I don't know what to do about it. I can't put my girls through that. It feels much safer to just not allow it to happen. Bur the warmth I feel inside when I'm around him, the life I feel...it's undeniable.

I loved the girls. They were so fun, mischievous, loving and too darn cute. Blake was so good with them. And Alex's friend Harlow was an outspoken firecracker with a good heart. I liked her part of the story with a new man Trace O'Connell. According to a sneak peek of the 2nd book Running In Circles, I think maybe the female Tatum O'Connell might be his sister. Just guessing.

This was a sweet story of friendship, love, letting go and holding on. I really enjoyed the writing style and the book. I identified with the 80s movies references. And I absolutely adored the whole swoony last chapter of the book.

He reminds me every day that when you're running on empty, you won't ever get where you need to be. Both in life and Love.


Follow L.B Simmons on Facebook/website/Goodreads/Twitter

You May Also Like

0 comments