Hopeless: Colleen Hoover

by - Saturday, January 12, 2013

Add to Goodreads        Buy: Nook/Kindle


Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.



I did not live this book, I loved this book!
Sky is a high school Senior going to public school for the first time, but already has a bad reputation due to her association with her best friend, Six and her make out sessions with boys. But she does not really feel anything.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

I've never been swept off my feet. I don't get butterflies. In fact, the whole idea of being swooned by anyone is foreign to me.

A chance meeting at the grocery store with Holder will change her whole world. He's hot, intense, mysterious, moody, temperamental, and a little scary.

Somehow, in the course of sixty seconds, this guy has managed to swoon me, then terrify the hell out of me. 

It's simply him. Everything about him, from his tousled dark hair, to his stark blue eyes, to that...dimple, to his thick arms that I just want to reach out and touch.

I don't know how this hopeless boy weaseled himself into my life this week, but I know I'm definitely not ready for him to leave.

Their chemistry is amazing. Their connection is electric. Their pasts are mysteries that unfold throughout the book. There is drama. There is pulling away and pulling towards each other. There are secrets and hidden truths. Through it all, their relationship slowly builds to a good place. And when they are happy, it is so sweet.


"The moment my lips touch yours, it will be your first kiss. Because if you've never felt anything when someone's kissed you, then no one's every really kissed you. Not the way I plan on kissing you."


I can't get past the notion that we might just be too good. Whatever this is and whatever we're doing seems too good and too right and too perfect and it makes me think of all the books I've read and how, when thing get too god and too right and too perfect, it's only because the ugly twist hasn't yet infiltrated the goodness of it all...


"It's killing me baby because I don't want you to go another day without knowing how I feel about you. And I'm not ready to tell you I'm in love with you, because I'm not. Not yet. But whatever this is I'm feeling--it's so much more than just like. It's so much more. And for the past few weeks I've been trying to figure it out. I've been trying to figure out why there isn't some other word to describe it. I want to tell you exactly how I feel but there isn't a single goddamned word in the entire dictionary that can describe this point between liking you and loving you, but I need that word. I need it because I need you to hear me say it."


...seeing the enthusiasm behind his eyes right now...it makes me want to feel every single thing about life. The good, the bad, the beautiful the ugly, the pleasure, the pain. I want that. I want to start feeling life the same way he does. And my first step to doing so starts with this hopeless boy in front of me who's pouring his heart out, searching for that perfect word, wanting desperately to help me add feeling back into living.


"Live. If you mix the letters up in the words like and love, you get live. You can use that word."

Their relationship grows and Holder becomes such an amazing support in her life. The last half of the book is heart pounding, heart wrenching, and heart warming all at the same time while secrets are revealed. There are many twists and turns. I could not put it down. I stayed up til 2 am to finish. And when was done, I was emotionally spent, but at the same time uplifted. I absolutely loved Holder and Sky and their story. It was not an easy story to read...it was emotional, and intense, but also a story of love and hope. And that part was amazing and beautiful. It is going up in my fave shelves of 6 star reads where very few sit. 

"Fuck all the firsts, Sky. The only thing that matters to me with you are the forevers."

He's proven to me that I'll never feel completely hopeless again, so long as he's in my life.

You May Also Like

0 comments