ARC Review: What Doesn't Kill Her by Christina Dodd

by - Tuesday, January 29, 2019


AMAZON | B&N | Kobo | iBooks | Google Play 

One secret, one nightmare, one lie. You guess which is which.

1. I have the scar of a gunshot on my forehead.
2. I have willfully misrepresented my identity to the US military.
3. I'm the new mother of a seven-year-old girl.

Kellen Adams suffers from a yearlong gap in her memory. A bullet to the brain will cause that. But she's discovering the truth, and what she learns changes her life, her confidence, her very self. She finds herself in the wilderness, on the run, unprepared, her enemies unknown--and she is carrying a priceless burden she must protect at all costs. The consequences of failure would break her. And Kellen Adams does not break.

What doesn't kill her...had better start running.

What Doesn’t Kill Her is the second book in a series and should not be read out of order. 

No! No! No! I refuse to believe it ended liked that and I now have to wait until October for the next book! *obnoxious whiny voice* That's way toooo long! I need more Kellan, Max, and Rae NOW. *stomps feet*

I’m so not a cliffy girl; damn you, Dodd! 

Anyway, this has seriously become one of my favorite books. I absolutely loved What Doesn’t Kill Her even more than Dead Girl Running. 

Kellan and Rae absolutely made this! 

It bears repeating: “I want more Kellan Adam heroines. The book world could definitely use more of her strength, no games and contrived drama, take no shit, loyal personality.” -Dead Girl Running review

She proved even more throughout What Doesn't Kill Her that my hardcore love for her was well deserved. We didn’t just see Kellan, the domestic abuse survivor and Kellan, the Army Captain. Ms. Dodd gave us Kellan, the mom. This was my favorite persona of hers. She wasn’t perfect at it. Far from it. Think fish out of water. But Kellan learned quickly she could do it. That she could love her daughter beyond a shadow of a doubt, even without the initial bond/connection. That she could be a loving, fantastic mama. I loved taking this journey with her, watching her grow psychologically and emotionally through the trials and tribulations of becoming a mama to her feisty, independent, and free-spirited seven-year-old. 

Kellan Adams, you girl, are an inspiration. 

I can’t wait for you to meet Rae! She’s a trip! The most precious, little girl. Her love for her mama was unconditional and she was so patient with Kellan’s inept attempts. Their growing relationship became the center of What She Doesn’t Know. It’s what made this book so special, to me. The perfect ingredient I didn’t even know I needed.

That doesn’t mean you won’t get a fast-paced, action packed book filled with twisty turns. You will, lots of it. You'll get all this while also experiencing a character driven book. Readers will encounter Kellan immersed in a roll so new to her that she has to learn how to navigate and merge these two aspects of her life: family life and badass life.

And as Kellan is known to do, she handles this with lots of witty, fun and WTF moments. All while kicking ass and taking names. 

As Ms. Dodd consistently does when I read one of her books, she captivated and engaged all of my feelings and senses. I highly recommend this series. 

P.S. I know I didn't touch on Max. I should have because I fell hard for him in this book, as well. But his character is more secondary to Kellan and Rae. My love for What Doesn't Kill Her sets around the two of them. Max was just the icing on the cake. Now my review for Strangers She Knows will be filled with the delicious Max Di Luca since it looks like we'll get a book in his voice! I'm so damn excited for this!! I can't wait to see what Ms. Dodd has in store for us. 

Thank you, Netgalley, for gifting me a copy of What Doesn't Kill Her by Christine Dodd.
Readers become writers, and Christina Dodd has always been a reader. She reads everything, but because she loves humor, she likes romance best.

A woman wants things like world peace, a clean house, and a deep and meaningful relationship based on mutual understanding and love. A man wants things like a Craftsman router with attachments, undisputed control of the TV remote, and a red Corvette which will miraculously make his bald spot disappear. So when Christina's first daughter was born, she told her husband she was going to quit work and write a book. It was a good time to start a new career, because how much trouble could one little infant be?

Ha! It took ten years, two children and three completed manuscripts before her first novel, CANDLE IN THE WINDOW, was published. In the twenty-six years since, her novels have been translated into 25 languages, won Romance Writers of America's prestigious Golden Heart and RITA Awards and been called the year's best by Library Journal. Christina Dodd herself has been a clue in the Los Angeles Times crossword puzzle (11/18/05, # 13 Down: Romance Novelist named Christina — her mother was very impressed.) With more than 15 million of her books in print, Publishers Weekly praises her style that 'showcases Dodd's easy, addictive charm and steamy storytelling.'

Christina Dodd is married to a man with all his hair and no Corvette, but many Craftsman tools.

You May Also Like

0 comments