Release Review: Bat Boy: Christina Lee

by - Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Bat Boy
Christina Lee
Add to Goodreads
Release Date November 10, 2020

Brady Donovan

With a baseball scholarship to Easton University and awesome family and friends, my life is pretty golden. Except, things have never come together for me in the romance department. Until Kellan Crawford walks onto the field as the team’s newest bat boy. Bells and whistles go off in my body, and just like that, I’m totally crushing on a guy for the first time in my life. Too bad he’s the coach’s son and officially off-limits.

Kellan Crawford

I’m working toward my statistics degree, so landing the bat-boy position with the Easton U Pirates is right up my alley. It keeps me close to the action on the field, even if that means hauling equipment, picking up sweaty jockstraps, and putting up with the players’ antics. My dad’s the coach, and his number-one rule is never to play favorites…which probably includes getting too friendly with the team captain. But Brady Donovan’s annoyingly perfect smile and protective nature are making that nearly impossible.

When something shifts between us at an away game, everything is thrown off-kilter. Donovan’s never been with a guy before, and I certainly don’t want to be his test case. But I can’t seem to help myself. He’s sweet and hot and somehow charms the baseball pants right off me. If Coach ever catches wind of this, he’ll bench us both. Disappointing my dad might kill me, but so would losing the guy who makes my heart pound harder than a home run in the bottom of the ninth.

So much for not playing favorites.

*Bat Boy is a feel-good college baseball romance with swoon and banter and steam. It’s a tad shorter than my other full-length novels and is intended for those readers who might need a lighter escape from the real world. 

Brady Donovan is the team captain of the Easton U baseball team. He is well-liked, charming, sweet, and protective. He is also just figuring out some things about himself...like his crazy attraction to the bat boy.

Kellan Crawford's offical title is bat boy, but he is more like a clubhouse manager and is a whiz with statistics. He is also the coach's son. He is gay, but seems to live his life in two modes...trying to be invisible with the team or being totally vibrant when out in his element. He has been hurt in the past so is already wary of sports players who are experimenting.  And his father has already told him players are off-limits and no playing favorites. 

But Brady cannot seem to help the fact that he likes and is attracted to Kellan and is not afraid to grab snippets of time with him. They have common interests and give good banter. But even too close a friendship is forbidden by their coach and there is social pressure from friends and teammates. They cannot totally resist, but know the risk might be too much for either of them.

This is a forbidden, swoony, passionate, heartfelt, college sports romance. It has a bit of angst, but still puts a smile on your face. I adored both Brady and Kellan as they are genuinely nice, thoughtful, good guys with big hearts.
 I enjoyed seeing Brady start coming into his own and experiencing firsts...and Kellan starting to show his personality more.  The whole situation might seem wrong and is totally against the rules, but at the same time feels so right to them. 

There are some fun dynamics with his team and their friends. Brady's brother Ricky is so endearing and whip-smart. I loved how both Brady and Kellan respected his talents. I am really looking forward to the couple in the next book as we have seen their tense dynamic throughout this one (I was shipping them early on). It is going to be an interesting match up for sure. 


Mother, wife, reader, dreamer. Christina lives in the Midwest with her husband and son–her two favorite guys. She’s addicted to lip balm, coffee, and kissing. Because everything is better with kissing.

She writes mostly MM Contemporary as well as Adult and New Adult Romance. She believes in happily-ever-afters for all, so reading and writing romance for everybody under the rainbow helps quench her soul.

If you’d like to keep up with her on a daily basis, join her reader group on Facebook called The Swoon Room. Or join her newsletter to be notified of sales and/or new releases.


You May Also Like

0 comments