Review: When the Muse Speaks by Kiana Donae

by - Monday, October 25, 2021

 

In this book the muse seeks only to be heard and the poet is merely a vessel for her to speak. The voice of the muse crosses all boundaries and is the embodiment of human experience whether pleasant or not. The muse speaks to tell the stories for the unheard, unseen, and/or misunderstood. Voices in this book range from love and infidelity to dreams and race relations. It is her hope that you listen(read) with an open mind and heart.

I have to admit, I'm so not a poetry girl. However, Ms. Donae always has the right words, at least for me. Words that reach soul deep. The perfect explanation for feelings not easily expressed. Her beautiful words speak to me, and not much does lately. I'm so happy I took a chance on When the Muse Speaks. On her words. While I can't relate to each poem within, they are no less powerful. Each one makes me stop and listen. To me, this makes an amazing author. If you love poetry than I highly suggest giving this book a try. I promise you won't be disappointed.
Sharing my favorite poem from When the Muse Speaks:
Drowning
The weight
As I wait to take
My last breath
Bears down hard
Pushing me straight down
Into the deep
Wrapped lungs gasp
And heave
And wish for air to breathe
Even if only for a moment
Just a moment left
Caught between moments of panic
And an involuntary calm
Washing over me
Giving me a false peace
As my conscience leaves
Drifting between the waves
She stares into me
The soft eyes are hollow
But resemble my own
The weight takes hold
As she drifts farther away from me
And in this moment I know
What being alone truly means
January 2019
© Kiana Donae
Kiana Donae is a lover of the written word. While her proclivity is to express thought & emotion through poetry, her passion is writing in all forms. A true writer by nature, whether penning an email or a blog post, she is sure to find the perfect words to convey the message.

She listens for the muse in the quiet spaces of the world. A place where she seeks to be the voice for the unseen, unheard and/or misunderstood. When the muse speaks she becomes the vessel; her words adapt & evolve to express the versatility of life's experiences.
It is there...poet and muse create synergy.

Donae also flexes her writing muscles by writing content. She loves to plan, write & edit the perfect lines for websites & blogs, digital marketing posts, podcast advertisements and much more. She is always looking for more content writing opportunities.

Currently the author of four poetry collections, each one reflects the many facets
of human life. Poetry that will captivate the mind and the soul.

When she's not writing she's often creating poetic art, digital designs & graphics such as book covers and logos, as well as beautiful ways to preserve photos, memories and moments.

Or... maybe she's headed to the lake to throw a line into the
water in attempts to catch her next fish tale.
Life is weird that way. She's learned it's best to go with the flow. 


You May Also Like

0 comments