Crash Nicole Williams

by - Sunday, December 09, 2012

Add to Goodreads        Buy: Nook/Kindle

Southpointe High is the last place Lucy wanted to wind up her senior year of school. Right up until she stumbles into Jude Ryder, a guy whose name has become its own verb, and synonymous with trouble. He's got a rap sheet that runs longer than a senior thesis, has had his name sighed, shouted, and cursed by more women than Lucy dares to ask, and lives at the local boys home where disturbed seems to be the status quo for the residents. Lucy had a stable at best, quirky at worst, upbringing. She lives for wearing the satin down on her ballet shoes, has her sights set on Juilliard, and has been careful to keep trouble out of her life. Up until now.

Jude's everything she needs to stay away from if she wants to separate her past from her future. Staying away, she's about to find out, is the only thing she's incapable of.

For Lucy Larson and Jude Ryder, love's about to become the thing that tears them apart.
Tammy's Rating:
6 out of 5 Stars

Tammy's Review:
I have grown very fond of the YA genre and books like Crash are the reason why.  They always seem to bring me out of my book funks.  Definitely not mindless reads, most times I end up with a variety of emotions that ends me up in tears.  Crash was no different.  I was HOOKED from the first few pages.  Kicking myself for continuously pushing this series off.

"The name's Jude Ryder, since I know you're all but salivating like a rabid dog to know, and I don't do girlfriends, relationships, flowers, or regular phone calls. If that works for you, I think we could work out something special."

Do you like: damaged bad boys? Angsty stories that keep you involved all the way through? Damaged chicks who don’t take any crap but always manages to mess things up in a major way all the way to the end? Heroines who reform the damaged boy  and convinces him to feel like he is worthy and loved? 

“Our reputations weren’t who we really were, they were who people told us we were. Some of us fell into that trap, while others fought their entire lives to break free of them.  Jude was no more the bad boy with a dead end future than I was the skanky slut everyone said I was. The difference between our assigned reputations was that Jude accepted his like it was a penance for some wrong doing.”

Jude and Luce, damn they were a straight up mess. Both damaged tremendously, Jude more so than Luce.  Lucy meets Jude on the beach, and is instantly attracted to him.  Jude has to work for her number and a date, something this bad boy wasn’t used to.  Within the first five chapters was where we experience our first series of drama and one of the many reasons Jude feels that it would be smarter for Luce to stay far away from him.

“I’m cancer, Luce.  And not the kind you can kill off with radiation.”

No matter how many times he tried to convince her it would be best for her to move on, Jude just can’t help  himself.  There is no staying away for him.  These two had a major major lack of communication problem , but isn’t it like that in all young adult books? They could avoid so much pain and resentment if they just TALKED!! I swear they spent more time fighting each other than they did spending that time together being happy. The chemistry was there, the intensity was also very very present. The love they bore for each other smacked you in the face with its intensity.  However, did they see any of that?  Nope.  He did some stupid things that made me shake my head, but as much as I adored Luce she seriously made me want to bang my head against the wall and scream, “what the hell are you doing?”  In the same sense I loved that chick to death because she didn’t hesitate to let Jude know he was so damn worthy  and not “shitty” or so damaged no one could love him. My girl made me smile at her defense of him.

 “No, that’s what I answer when a girl I am falling hard for, the only girl I’ve fallen hard for, wants to be in a relationship with someone like me. “
This was one of my favorite scenes in the book, it lightened up some of the very tense moments.  Nicole Williams knows how to drive the angst and emotions way up, but then bring you back down with something light and fun.

” I found your earring.”
“Where was it?”
“Tucked inside my boxers.”
“How the hell did it wind up there?”
“Don’t know, but let’s just say I was close to becoming pierced. “


They found themselves torn apart, but fate brought them right back together each time. They weathered one hell of a storm and it was emotional and raw. I gasped when Jude said something so cruel at the end of the book and I wondered how in  the hell will they come back from that. Their push and pull ran my nerves raw and I thought I can’t take much more of this and then  one or the other did something to renew your faith in the incredible love to damaged souls feel for each other.

“The same tragedy upended our worlds. The same tragedy brought us here today. Don’t let it tear us apart.”
Kim's Rating:
6 out of 5 Stars

Kim's Review:
I was engaged by the book from the beginning and fell for Jude the minute he opened his mouth, even if it was to make us gasp just as it did Lucy. 

Lucy...
Every years since puberty, from mid-June to early September, I'd been sure I was going to meet the real world equivalent to Prince Charming. Call me old fashioned, call me hopelessly romantic, you can even call me a fool, but whatever I was, I knew the end result--I was a sucker. 

enter Jude...He might not be her Prince Charming but he's her"Prince of Hot Damn!"

"The name's Jude Ryder, since I know you're all but salivating like a rabid dog to know, and I don't do girlfriends, relationships, flowers, or regular phone calls. If that works for you, I think we could work out something special."

Jude tries to do the right thing by warning Lucy off him. He is a bad boy with a record, dangerous acquaintances, and a bad reputation. 

"...I'm smart enough to know girls like you should stay away from guys like me. So Stay away."

Jude Ryder wasn't only trouble, he was trouble with a dose of danger and dessert of heartache. I didn't talk the lingo of stereotypes, but I knew the path Jude was on and the one I was on would never intersect unless one of us forfeited our individual one to join the other.

This type of guy was every type of wrong on the surface, but there was something more there, something I'd seen in that flash of vulnerability that sucked me in.

But he can't stay away. She does not really want him to stay away. And thus begins the dance of Jude and Lucy. 
Push and Pull. 
Run to and run away. 
Fight and Make up. 
Hurt and Heal. 

Jude: "It's not hard to recognize something special when life's thrown a lotta shit your way."

"I told you , there's nothing good that will come of of being with me. I might not mean it to happen, but things have a way of going all to shit around me."

I'm cancer, Luce. And not the kind that can kill off with radiaton. The kind that kills you off in the end"

"You know, Jude, you're half as tough as you think you are...and twice as nice as you hope you aren't. So don't try to sell me the whole I'm cancer thing again because I'm not buying it."

I loved Lucy and Jude. They really were what each other needed even when they fought it and pushed each other away. She was the only person that ever cared enough about him to get to know him and try to make him understand that he was worthy. He was not perfect, but when he was not fighting it, he was perfect for her. She had her own demons to deal with: the death of her brother, her Mom's withdrawal and harsh judgment, her Dad's retreat into himself, a change in monetary status for her family, a new school with new attitudes, and being judged by her peers. But when they were good, they were good for each other. He supported her dancing. She supported him getting into football that will change his future. She gave him multiple chances despite him messing up. They were volatile together, but miserable apart. They had to withstand some pretty serious trials towards the end of the book, and I loved how Jude's character progressed. 

"You didn't make me a better person, because no one can do that. You made me want to be a better person,. You believed in me and stuck up for me, You cared for me when no one else would. You made me better Luce. Your're right--one person can change another person's whole world for the better."

I am ready to read Clash and Crush now! Looking forward to more of this couple.

You May Also Like

0 comments