Undeniable by Madeline Sheehan

by - Thursday, November 01, 2012

Add to Goodreads        Buy: Nook/Kindle

***Warning*** (This book contains several aspects of the uglier side of life; it is not for everyone.)

The story of Deuce and Eva...

An undeniable connection that stands the test of time.

Unforgettable moments.

Love and pain and everything in between.

I was five years old when I met Deuce, he was twenty-three, and it was visiting day at Riker's Island. My father, Damon Fox or "Preacher", the President of the infamous "Silver Demon's" motorcycle club -mother chapter- in East Village, New York City, was doing a five-year stint for aggravated assault and battery with a deadly weapon. It was not the first time my father had been in prison and it wouldn't be the last. The Silver Demon's MC was a notorious group of criminals who lived by the code of the road and gave modern society and all it entailed a great big f**k you.

"Never forget the day Eva came bouncin' into my f**ked up life, shakin' pigtails, singin' Janis, wearin’ chucks and sharin' peanuts and straight up stole any decency I had left which wasn't a whole lot but she f**kin' took it and I've been hers ever since."
Tammy's Rating:
4 out of 5 Stars

Tammy's Review:
I have read other books that are train wrecks, but I think this one takes the cake. The entire time I was like what?!!, oh no he did not!!, and seriously?!!. It was pure angst and drama and left me a mess when I finished it. However, I could not put this book down, I had to finish it. I just had too. Even after I finished the last page and closed the book, I am still thinking about it, it is still sending my brain on a roller coaster with the thoughts of it.

Honestly, I could not decide whether it was a good book or a bad book. A friend pointed out that if a book leaves you with this much emotion and angst after you have left it then it has to be a good one, even if the actions in it are not good ones. I totally agree with her, perfect point she made. Madeline Sheehan is one hell of a writer. You may not agree with her story or the actions in the story but she kept you there the entire time, and you felt some kind of emotion the entire time. That to me makes an amazing writer. One who captures you and keeps you captured for the long haul, and that includes after the story is finished.

I will not lie and say I loved this read, because I did not. What I did love however was the way it was told and the realness to it. It was an everyday life story, it was not all roses and rainbows. You knew that there was an HEA, but it took you on a roller coaster ride getting there. The build up to that HEA was a rough ride, an emotional ride, and it left you feeling tired. If I felt that worn out then I imagine Madeline and her characters felt somewhat close to that as she was writing it and getting them there to that happy place.

Many people are comparing this story to SOA and I have never seen this show, so Undeniable was a revelation for me. They are also comparing it to Tack from KA. I do not see the comparison. I think Deuce was so much grittier than Tack, I loved Tack I could not love Deuce. I just could not. I tried, but he just kept messing up over and over again. Just an FYI, there is an extreme amount of cheating in this book. It got worse every time. I love an alpha male, but I love one who respects his heroine even better.

The heroine, I had respect for her. I could see the lifestyle she was brought up in and how she would make the choices, she did. She was loyal, and everyone loved her. She was sassy and stood up for what she believed in. Although her relationship choices were not that of a healthy person, she made the best of them. You could almost justify her actions. She loved this man since she was 5 years old. Each time they encountered each other her love grew stronger no matter what his actions were.

Together they were a hot mess. Seriously. The more I thought about them, the more I could feel their love. The more I could see how environment, emotions, influences, and just plain ole life could affect their love for each other. I could see how it was nowhere close to being perfect but as it stated in the opening, it was their love story and it worked for them.

"His name is Deuce.
He was my "why.”
And this is our story.
It is not a pretty one.
Some parts of it are downright ugly.
But it's ours.
And because I believe everything happens for a reason, I wouldn't change a thing."

I remember texting and messaging with my reading buddy and actually defending their love. Why I don't know. I just knew I was. I could come nowhere close to condoning their actions, I couldn't for the life of me condone the cheating in any shape or form and the back and forth of her coming and going. But I could feel the love they had for each other underneath it all. She stated if you truly love someone then you would treat him or her better, you would also respect him or her. I agree with this in a sense. I have known that feeling of loving someone and not having an ounce of respect for them. Sometimes love is there and that love will always be there, even with that love you can hate the person you love or even hurt that person. Doesn't mean you love them any less, just means you learn to love them for who they are and hopefully realize that it isn't a healthy relationship. They had a down and dirty kind of love. They had to learn to live with the consequences their relationship created.

When asked if I liked this book I still can't answer, as I truly don't know. Would I suggest the read for others. Yes, I would. Everyone should experience this type of story and no, I don't mean a story that has morally wrong actions and consequences to it. I mean a story that the author writes so damn well, a story that sucks you in and keeps you there and doesn't let you off of that roller coaster ever. A story that sticks with you way after it is finished. This story was real, it was gritty, and it played with your mind. At first I wasn't sure, if I was happy about reading it, but as I sit here typing this I am glad to have read it and experienced it. I am glad to have found Madeline Sheehan, and will most definitely pick up another story again by her.

You May Also Like

0 comments