Review: The Rest of the Story: Tal Bauer

by - Tuesday, January 24, 2023


The Rest of the Story
Tal Bauer
Amazon
Goodreads

Let me earn it.

I keep things simple. I’m a classic one-night wonder. Relationships? Are you out of your mind? No. No way. Not interested. My heart is vulcanized rubber, puck hard, and that’s the way I like it.

Then I'm traded to the absolute worst team in the NHL, the Rocky Mountain Outlaws, and I’m hit with a one-two punch.

First: I’m asked to step up and lead the team, which is every kind of bad idea you can imagine. I'm a head-down, mind-my-business kind of guy. Mr. Uninvolved, Mr. No, Not Me, Mr. Find Someone Else. But these players have been through a mess of hell, and someone thinks I can help pull them together.

The Outlaws are made up of jaded veterans and wide-eyed rookies, and we have no business whatsoever succeeding. We are scrappy and plucky and built out of spit and duct-tape… and whatever we’re doing, it’s working.

Second: The first day I’m in Boulder, I go over the boards and come face-to-face with a pair of blue eyes and lose my heart. Boy, howdy: meet my new co-captain, Shea Darling.

He’s way, way off-limits. It's a stratospherically terrible idea to want or crave him. This crush, this infatuation, is going nowhere fast.

Yeah, right. I’m gone for Shea. I’m head over heels, and I’m all tangled up in something I can’t understand or control. This isn’t me. I don’t fall in love. And there’s nothing simple about Shea, or about the Outlaws. This team is finally putting up the wins, and we are making something of ourselves. Falling for my co-captain while we’re on a Cinderella run could jeopardize everything we’re striving for.

But then there’s this one night.
And this one kiss.
And everything changes.

Eighty-two games in a season.
Twenty men hungry for redemption.
One co-captain who could be my forever.

This is the rest of the story.

*****

The Rest of the Story is a friends-to-lovers, hockey players/teammates MM romance, and includes themes of survivorship.

The Rest of the Story is set in the same universe as Gravity, but each novel can be read independently. You do not need to read Gravity first to enjoy The Rest of the Story.

The Rest of the Story is an epic, original, unputdownable, grumpy-sunshine, rookie-veteran, romance with so much heart. It’s also about the rebuilding of a rag-tag team, hope, healing, finding a family, and the triumph of the human spirit.

Veteran Morgan Elsher finds himself traded to the team that no one wants to be on, but he didn’t realize why until he got there. He is usually a guy that flies under the radar and does not step up. But when he sees what is needed, he is determined to change it for the better and he takes the team under his wing. He is loyal, dependable, caring, and supportive. 

Shea Darling is one of the older rookies, but he’s smart, talented, and has a positive energy about him. Together Morgan and Shea help support these guys to start rebuilding the team, but along the way they find themselves feeling more than they should for each other. And it’s not only the forbidden relationship aspect, but Morgan has a lot of issues from his past that have kept him locked down for years. Will Shea be enough to unlock his heart, and make him want to take a chance?

I was sucked into this book from the beginning. It rips your heart apart in places, but then you feel each little triumph and joy along the way with these characters. And it’s not just Shea and Morgan that you’re rooting for. You’re cheering for this whole team. It’s a slow-burn love story, especially with the physical aspects. But that was just as refreshing as the rest of it. I absolutely adored Morgan and Shea and loved the changes that they were able to make to help their teammates find their spark and love of hockey again. It’s truly a beautiful story of hope, healing, acceptance, friendship, and found family.

This book took me to places, and never expected right from the beginning with its original setup and then to the places he went with it.  I was coasting along, living in happy Tal La La Land, and then I was just left speechless and repeating OMFG!  The twists and turns had me flipping pages and perhaps cursing a certain author. There is so much more to this hockey story than I ever could’ve expected. And there is also a lot of emotional baggage that makes healing and hope so much more important.

I don’t think I’ve hated another antagonist so much in any book as the one in this one.  But I was also so impressed with some of the other characters. This book is an epic and tumultuous journey that makes you feel every emotion along the way. And it is not just for the two main characters. It is for this whole team of guys who needed someone to believe in them so badly. There is such a connection running through all of them. You feel their pain and their joy. 
You feel like you’re on the ice with them when people are cheering them on. You want to just belt out their team song as you read. 

And then, when it was all done, the author gives us two bonus stories, All Your Tomorrows and Boise Boy, for two of the other characters. I binge-read the book and bonus stories, and now I am just emotionally spent, but completely in love with all of these characters and their stories. Moogs and Shea and Brody and Lawson and so many of these guys will forever be in my heart. 

Tal Bauer
Website | Blog Newsletter | Facebook | Facebook Group | Instagram | BookBub | TikTok

 Tal Bauer writes breathtaking, heartfelt, and often action-packed gay romance novels. His characters are head over heels for each other, and fight against all odds for their happy ending.Nothing stands in the way of love.

Tal is best known for his romantic suspense novels, including The Murder Between Us and The Grave Between Us. He has also written You & Me, The Jock and The Quarterback, along with the Big Bend Texas Rangers series.

You May Also Like

0 comments