Release Review: In The Gray: Christina Lee

by - Thursday, October 19, 2023

In The Gray
Christina Lee
Release Date October 19, 2023

Foster
I moved to a new city for a librarian job at the university, and though I’m enjoying the change, it does little to dispel the dull grayness of my world. When my dog, Oscar, forms an instant bond with a man living in a yellow tent, my surroundings begin to feel more vibrant and full of possibility. I’m first drawn to Lachlan’s soulful eyes, and then to his kind nature and resilient spirit. I want to know more about him, and Oscar seeking him out on our daily walks provides me with that opportunity.

Lachlan
One split-second decision leads to losing everything and living on the streets. Still, I’d choose my current conditions over being harmed by someone I loved. The only bright spot in my struggle to survive is the handsome stranger and his dog. Despite how compassionate Foster seems, I don’t want any handouts. I need to stay safe and stand on my own two feet after what I’ve been through. But when I find myself in a bind, I allow Foster to rescue me, if only for a night.

Our circumstances couldn’t be more different, and yet I’m drawn to Foster in ways I hadn’t expected. When our attraction skyrockets, Foster assures me that finding comfort in each other doesn’t hurt anyone. But when it becomes something deeper—meaningful conversations and mind-blowing intimacy—it occurs to me that I might’ve met the right man at the wrong time. Story of my life.

*CW: Discussions and depictions of domestic violence, mental health struggles, and experiencing homelessness.


In the Gray is a heartfelt and unique story about two men literally living in the gray phase of life. Lachlan stood up for himself, but it cost him all of his creature comforts and former life stability. Now he is a survivor, but he’s living on the streets due to circumstances. Foster is a librarian and a dog dad who is struggling with his own mental health which makes it difficult for him to face the world some days.

A chance meeting with Foster and his dog sort of sets up a routine where they cross paths more often. During some stressful situations, Foster finds himself wanting to help Lachlan. But Lachlan n is independent-minded and prideful and doesn’t want to rely on other people anymore. So Foster has to kind of dance around and be creative in ways to help him. But the more time they spend with each other, the more the chemistry builds between them. And the fact that neither of their worlds is so gray anymore when they spend time together is a whole other positive aspect. But it is also a tense and scary one because the potential to get hurt is high. 

I loved that Foster was kind, willing to help, to learn, and to be an ally. He treated Lachlan with respect and care and tried to work with his boundaries. My heart broke for Lachlan and what he had been through and how he was just kind of stuck due to no fault of his own. But it did a real number on his self-worth and hope for the future. But Lachlan also provided Foster with a much needed jumpstart to want to be active in his own life and live it more fully despite his issues.  The author tackled tough situations honestly and realistically with no quick fixes

This is a story about trust, vulnerability, passion, and finding a true partner in the good and bad times. But individually it is about self-worth,, empowerment, taking charge of their own lives, finding purpose, and paying it forward. It is hopeful, inspiring, heartwarming, and unforgettable.

We had connected in the gray, and that bond created a spark that made everything around us brighter.


Mother, wife, reader, dreamer. Christina lives in the Midwest with her husband and son–her two favorite guys. She’s addicted to lip balm, coffee, and kissing. Because everything is better with kissing.

She writes mostly MM Contemporary as well as Adult and New Adult Romance. She believes in happily-ever-afters for all, so reading and writing romance for everybody under the rainbow helps quench her soul.

If you’d like to keep up with her on a daily basis, join her reader group on Facebook called The Swoon Room. Or join her newsletter to be notified of sales and/or new releases.



You May Also Like

0 comments