Obsidian: Jennifer L. Armentrout

by - Friday, January 04, 2013


Add to Goodreads Buy: Nook/Kindle

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


“I’d always avoided confrontation in the past, but this guy was flipping my bitch switch like nothing else.”

This line sucked me right in to the book, well along with the fact that our heroine is majorly into books and runs a book review blog. After the first chapter, I kept thinking to myself why the hell did I wait so long to read this. It has been sitting on my TBR pile for like ever now.

“You know what they say about boys next door….”

Um, Daemon was definitely not the boy next door. If I must be honest, he is a complete and total ass (excuse my language, but it is the truth, actually, I have another word for him, but that word is definitely not appropriate for a review blog even if Katy is in agreement). I absolutely adored him though. The author wrote this bad boy to perfection. He could put some adults to shame with his nasty words and behavior. Thing is you can’t help but adore Daemon, for him it is all about protecting his sister Dee at all cost and that means keeping the human away!

“Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.”

Now Katy she is a breath of fresh air! I have read a bunch of YA and I really love her as a heroine. While she suffered through hardship, she was strong and loyal. She took Daemon’s crap but she did not do it lying down, that girl gave back just as good as she got. Which endeared Daemon to her even more. She loved his sister and did not care that he was trying his hardest to chase her off, Katy was there to stay.

Daemon: “Oh you’re an expert in crazy people?”
Katy: “A month with you and I feel I have a master’s degree in the subject.”


These two were explosive together; seriously, they even blew up a laptop with their chemistry! If you do not believe me, then pick up the book and read it for yourself. You will not regret it I promise! I will admit to be a little weary about reading this book; I am not into aliens or sci-fi. I am glad I listened to friends and started it. It was more YA then sci-fi and I did not mind the whole alien vibe to it. The mixture worked perfect together.


I was not sure I was going to like this book. Sure, I had heard great things about it. I knew it was about aliens before starting it and I am not usually into Sci-Fi. But WOW it totally surprised me. I was immediately drawn in from the beginning.

Katy is sweet, loyal, the girl next door and tougher than you would think. Daemon is such a jerk. I was shocked at the things coming out of his mouth. He is downright mean and hateful.

"Daemon's kind of rough around the edges, he doesn't get along with...people."

I always avoided confrontation in the past, but this guy flipped my bitch switch like nothing else.

Their "I hate you but I want you" thing is funny, sarcastic, entertaining, and explosive. I loved the humor and sarcasm. Daemon makes her so mad that you get mad at him right along with her. His twin, Dee is so sweet and tries to make up for him. And every once in awhile you will see glimpses into a nicer Daemon. And the pull of Daemon and Katy is so strong that it is hard to ignore even though they are both too stubborn to admit it. They are like magnets that switch ends and are alternately pulling together then pushing away. I absolutely loved them!

"We like each other. We do. It's stupid that we keep denying it."

There is mystery, danger, fear of the unknown, jealousy, anger, denial, passion, and love all wound up in this story. I could not put it down and stayed up late into the night trying to finish. I am looking forward to reading more of their stories and especially seeing more of Katy and Daemon. They are certainly nowhere near done fighting yet. I really liked that the author gave us a little taste of Daemon's POV at the end of the book. I was pleasantly surprised with everything about this book!

You May Also Like

1 comments